Sunday, June 10, 2012

Italy's ladies: Venice, Florence and Sienna

Italia....oh Italia. La dolce vita. I am astounded, invigorated, stunned, speechless (even though I am using a lot of words) and loving every moment in your glorious company. I have never felt more happy and alive. I have dreamed of going to Venice more than I dreamt of a perfect wedding or being on Broadway or anything so this was truly a dream come true.

Venice. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Little Italy. We went to the Doge's palace, the Basilica, and St. Marks square is everything you want it to be and more. Again, no picture will do any of these places justice, as you have to be there to take in the smells, sounds, and panoramic view. You know the joke you just had to be there? Well, that is truly what this is like. Save every penny, take the time off, and GO. Go,go,go. The gondola ride I was told is over hyped, and over priced. I found it totally priceless. Something you have to do with the love of your life. Check.

Tuscany. We stayed in a monastery that has been converted to a hotel in the hills of Italian wine country. It was incredible. Wine. Cheese. Raw meat, pasta, a sense of calm and serenity unparalleled.

Day trip to beautiful medieval Sienna.

Florence was so charming and Michalangelo's statue of David moved me in a way that was very unexpected. There was actually an energy permeating from him that I have never experienced from any work of art. I have sung "O Mio Babbino Caro" a hundred times, but now I know what and where she speaks of in the aria... The Arno river... the Ponte Vecchio... Yes, I may have cried again.


Pisa. Leaning tower is good stuff but what I actually ended up loving more was the street fair with local artists selling their goods.

over 2,000 pictures...I have no idea if these are the best... nor, as I said before, can any picture do these places justice. You have to come and taste the mozzarella and smell the honeysuckle for yourself. I'm begging you! Save save save and go. :)

Next blog will be about what we did in La Cinque Terre because this already is too much for my little heart to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment