Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Anything Goes-understudies are Delovely


I have put off seeing Anything Goes on the Broadway throughout my entire vacation so I could see it with Mama Mo for the following reasons.  
A. We are pretty much obsessed with Cole Porter.  
B. She has seen me in Anything Goes playing both Reno Sweeney and Hope Harcourt (not to worry it was not in the same production) And...
C. We saw Sutton Foster in her star is born musical moment, Thoroughly Modern Millie before she even won her first Tony award. We were revved UP.
Wellllll...as the little white paper understudy inserts fell out of our playbills we realized that neither she nor Joel Grey were performing that night. It's always a bummer to not see the original cast (we are spoiled) but I was SO happy to see a friend of mine and respected fellow Firesider take on the title role.  The Fireside legend Tari Kelly was FABULOUS and I was in awe of her and the whole cast of this wonderful, true classic musical. (The Fireside was my first equity theater job-great place...I will always have a soft spot in my heart for it.) I saw people returning their tickets before the show started and I could not help but think...is this not what happened to Sutton? plucked from the chorus and into stardom? New Yorkers are spoiled!!!
Main note: Go understudies.  Support them. They are overworked, underpaid and most of the time have to fill very big shoes.
Side note. BRING BACK TAPPING!!! That was a belted side note I apologize, but very necessary.

4 comments:

  1. Amen to that sister! New Yorkers are totally spoiled in that right.
    I am so excited you got to see a friend do it. It makes it all the more rewarding for her and you. Did you get a chance to see her after the show?
    And Amen to bringing tapping back. Whenever i am at a low point at work I turn on the vimeo of Sutton Foster singing and tapping Anything Goes and all is well with the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most understudies I've seen on Bway have been AMAZING.

    When the tap number from Anything Goes came on the Tony's Audrey was OBSESSED and did the most amazing dance along with them. I wish I could record it, but alas it was a one time deal. Loved it! Man, I miss Broadway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth! Pull it on up on YouTube and have he do it again! Pleeeeze??? For her auntie Audz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go understudies! That is awesome you got to see a friend do this!

    ReplyDelete