Saturday, September 18, 2010

Affirmation

SO many thoughts!
Life here is such a microcosm. You see everyone in a spotlight, under a microscope, and when you observe people from all over the world amidst a floating "Big Brother" environment, it makes for a very colorful day. Sometimes good sometimes bad. But overall I think interacting with people in this way is a blessing because you can get to know people on a deep level very quickly and learn about yourself in the process.
The theater world can be such a narcissistic business. As actors we are consumed with OUR looks, the way WE sound and the way WE are perceived on stage. From your peers, to critics, to directors and audience members we are prone to scrutiny that takes us somewhat naturally to a self involved plane of existence.  I really don’t care for this side of the business.  I shared this thought with one of the personal trainers here because his work is mainly helping people recover from injury and aiding the handicapped. I told him I envied his work as it must be incredibly rewarding always being so "hands on" giving and healing. He said that I have to perceive what I do as absolutely the same. We a giving our audiences joy, music, and hopefully reaffirming the human connection. As much as I thought "yeah sure, right, making someone smile from a time step is JUST like helping someone to walk", it was still nice to hear and have affirmed. Especially by a jock. Obviously it’s the reason we got in this crazy business to begin with (it ain’t for the bread) but it is easy to forget. My dear Jen posted this as her status the other day and I am stealing it:

The more I release, the more open I am to receiving more to give....

Love it. That speaks truth no matter what you believe.

On a lighter note mentally but not physically I have been eating like a Queen the past couple of days. I had caviar for what I believe to be the first time, crab legs, escargot, a “Millionaire’s salad” (yes that’s what it’s called and I’m glad they let me eat it as a starving artist) steak, lobster, fillet mignon. Last night I ate all the sushi I could under the sun. Who knew eel was so delicious. Who said the best things in life aren’t free? To counter the eating I have run a mile every day for three days. Doesn't sound like long, but it’s a good start. I hope if I write it here I will be held accountable to keep going everyday.
I am very very blessed and on top of it all I get to see Jason tomorrow when we dock in in the greatest city in the world!
So much more to say, think, feel but don’t want to go overboard. Pun absolutely intended. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hello my love! Well of course I love this post and your deep thoughts. I truly believe that we don't reach greatness as performers until we learn to reach beyond ourselves on stage. Until we let go of those all-consuming voices about OURSELF (how do I sound, how do i look). It isn't about us. Performing truly is not about us. And in my opinion, the actors that touch us - are the ones that GET THAT. And they give and give and give. Otherwise what you're "giving" stops at the edge of the stage. The audience might not exactly know why it is they didn't like that actor, but truly it is because the actor didn't give. They were so worried about themself (somewhere deep down), that they forgot why they're even there. They don't serve the message of what they're saying, singing. I don't know, I could go on and on... but I won't. :) Just don't forget that truly you do serve people as a performer.

    I love you. I'm glad you get to see Jason. Woo hoo! And before I know it, I'll see YOU again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I say "truly" more????? I will - truly. (So annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete